Sunday, November 15, 2009

Sunday


German Field Marshal Erwin Rommel (left) was born on this day in 1891. My friend Jerry Morelock reports that Rommel's face sells magazines. For more on this fascinating fellow, visit Armchairgeneral.com.

Tyrone Power died on this day in 1958. He was only 44 years old. My favorite role, of course, is that of the title role in Jesse James with Henry Fonda portraying Frank. God, I love this movie! I love every minute of this movie and am hard pressed to choose my favorite scene. The opening, of course, is great when the railroad agents visit the James Farm only to be bested by Frank as they attempt to take advantage of his mother. (Like ANYONE could have taken advantage of Zerelda! She had more guts than Frank and Jesse put together. . . .but that is a story for another day. . . .) Your assignment, take this movie from your collection and pop it in the DVD player. WHAT? You don't own it? For shame, for shame! I'm compiling a list for your Christmas giving, Dear Reader, musthave movies and books. Stay tuned.


. . . it was on this day in 1806 that Zebulon Pike saw Pike's Peak. Of course, it wasn't Pike's Peak until then. . . . I know you've read the journals of Lewis and Clark, and you know my feelings for Lewis and Clark (they were Virginians, after all) but do read Pike's journals as well. He lived fast, died young, and left a beautiful corpse. . . .

. . . and finally, Dear Reader, it was on this day in 1864 that William Tecumseh Sherman burned Etlanta. . . Damn him.

It is a cold, rainy day in Topeka. I'm searching youtube.com for fast-paced bluegrass tunes to fight away the blues. I suggest you do the same. Look up Lonesome River Band and watch Sammy Shelor pick that banjo! Whooowheee!

Then sit back, pour a glass of wine or a glass of shine, and close your eyes and just listen to the music and the rain.

No comments: