Thursday, January 19, 2012

The O'Reilly Factor


I walked through the family room where The O'Reilly Factor was on while my husband was snoozing. Bill was just getting ready for quiz time and the subject was the Civil War. Woohoo! I sat down to watch.
The 54th Massachusetts, Stonewall Jackson, Robert Duvall -- for the avid Civil War buff these were easy questions. But the contestants' scores were pretty pathetic, actually (and Steve Doocy is a KU grad!). One of the questions asked was which of these western figures was a Civil War veteran? The choices were Billy the Kid, Jesse James, The Sundance Kid, and someone else. The answer, of course, was Jesse James.
The problem began when O'Reilly started describing Jesse's exploits with William Clarke Quantrill. Times like that make me wish the TV was two-way.
"No, no, no!" I jumped up and woke my husband. "Jesse rode with Bloody Bill! Not Quantrill!"
I immediately emailed Mr. O'Reilly and am patiently awaiting his reply.

3 comments:

Leslie Shelor said...

Hope Mr. O'Reilly makes a public statement to correct his error!

Deb Goodrich said...

Me, too! Then we'll start talking about the Lincoln book . . . . At least, maybe he'll get people interested in learning history!!!!

Anonymous said...

Glad folks are keeping him on his toes. You'd think he could afford some fact-checkers right?
T. Rose