Friday, January 11, 2013

Looking Back

Stumbled across this image today and just decided to share it, especially in light of the fact that Ken Spurgeon is hard at work on the third of his trilogy on the Border War, Road to Valhalla. Ken is on the left, back row, along with Nathan Miller and Jon Goering; front, Drew Gomber and  Fred Chiaventone (with the ever-present coffee cup). I, of course, am smack-dab in the middle. Looking forward to this new project!

* * * * * * * * *

Today is the birthday of John P. Hatch. . . .

John P. Hatch, in all honesty, is not one of my favorite people. As part of the occupying army in the South following the war, he was rather arrogant. Nonetheless, I found this on the Arlington Cemetery site:

It's very interesting and worth the read.
Served in the Mexican, Indian, and Civil Wars
A Descendant of Major Porter, An Aide de Camp on Benedict Arnold’s Staff
NEW YORK, New York, April 14, 1901 – Brevet Brigadier General John Porter Hatch died at his home, 202 West One Hundred and Third Street, late Friday night. He had suffered for some time from heart disease. He retired early in the evening and was found dead in bed about 11 o’clock. General Hatch was born in Oswego, New York, January 8, 1822, and was a descendant of Major Moses Porter, aide-de-camp on the staff of General Benedict Arnold at the battle of Saratoga. His ancestors came to this country in 1634. General Hatch was graduated at the West Point Academy and was appointed a Lieutenant in the Third United States Infantry July 1, 1845. He reported for duty with his regiment at Corpus Christi, under General Taylor, in October of that year, and engaged in the battle of Palo Alto. He was one of the only two surviving officers of Palo Alto, the other being General Lawrence V. Graham of Washington. He took part in every important battle of the Mexican War, and especially distinguished himself at Vera Cruz and in fighting before the City of Mexico, being brevetted three times for gallantry. At the close of the Mexican War he was assigned to duty in New Mexico, in 1857 was sent against the Apache Indians and in the next year against the Navajos. This campaign was distinguished for being the first in which the Navajos had ever used rifles, their weapons before having always been bows and arrows and tomahawks. In 1859, with twenty-five men, General Hatch escorted the Governor of Missouri from New Mexico, where he was visiting, back to Missouri, there way lying through the country of the hostile Comanches, who were then fighting the Government. At the outbreak of the Civil War General Hatch was appointed Brigadier General of Volunteers and commanded a brigade in the first battle of Bull Run. Subsequently he commanded a division in General Banks’ army and went with him through the Shenandoah Valley. General “Stonewall”Jackson, the famous Confederate leader, in several of his works, has given credit to General Hatch for saving Banks’ corps from annihilation on this expedition. At the second battle of Bull Run General Hatch led a charge against the railroad embankment behind which were a large force of Confederates, and was shot in the head, but recovered. At the battle of South Mountain, Maryland, September 14, 1862, where he commanded a division, he was shot in the leg after leading his own soldiers, and for his gallantry was awarded a gold medal by Congress. This wound compelled his retirement from active service for five months and after that he did court-martial work in connection with recruiting until 1864, when he was assigned to the Army of the South. He took part in the operations against Charlestown and with his division occupied this city after its fall. He cooperated with General Sherman in his march to the sea, having charge of what was known as the Coast Guard, a division of the Army that covered the extreme eastern flank of Sherman’s army. From that time on until the end of the war he served with Sherman, when he was sent first to Texas and then to Montana having charge of several different Government posts and engaging in a number of fights with Indians. He was retired under the age limit in 1886 and for the last ten years has lived in this city. He leaves a widow, a son, Mark B. Hatch of Washington and an unmarried daughter, who has lived with her parents. General Hatch was a member of the Foreign War Society, the Aztec Club of ’47, an association formed by the officers at the time of the occupancy of the city of Mexico, and was once President of the club. He was also a member of the Army of the Potomac Society, the Loyal Legion and Lafayette Post of the Grand Army of the Republic. His body, according to present arrangements, will be taken to Washington tomorrow and there interred in Arlington Cemetery.

No comments: