Thursday, November 29, 2007

Seasons


I was preparing food all night. Yesterday morning, Cheryl, Carol Ann & I met for coffee and to divide duties. Tish called from West Virginia to tell me where to find the best bulk olives in Topeka.

Our friend, Kaye Arnold, passed away unexpectedly the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Her funeral is this afternoon and then a reception celebrating her life and love of art will be held at a gallery a block from our house. Kaye and I had been friends for a long time, shared many good times, but she was not someone I called every day like Carol Ann or Cheryl. She was not someone I updated by email on the triumphs and tragedies in our lives, though we cared and kept up with one another. But she was that kind of friend to Carol Ann and Cheryl, and I love them. I feel so much for Kaye's family and I think about my dear, dear friend Rhonda who died November 3 in Virginia. I could not be there, but I know others were there for her, just as I am here for Kaye, to perform these last deeds in her name to care for her family. Tish would do these things if she were here, but her home is elsewhere now. It falls to me to help my friends in their last, loving tasks for their dear friend. I make food to nourish the body, to comfort the soul.

I season this food with all that I have.

2 comments:

Leslie Shelor said...

It was so sad to hear about Rhonda, and I heard the other day that a classmate of mine was killed in an auto accident recently. As I get older it seems that loss is more frequent. Your friend Kaye sounds like she was a very special peson as well.

Deb Goodrich said...

Leslie, it sure does seem as we get older we lose more of the people we know and love. I seem to dream about Rhonda every night. It reminds us to live and love as much as we can every day.