Sunday, October 28, 2007

Fast Time


I jumped up and started setting the clocks back this morning until Noel informed me that Daylight Savings Time doesn't end until next week. I grabbed my calendar and said, "See, right here, 'Daylight Savings Time Ends.'" What I failed to see was the fine print underneath that reads, Old. If you turn the calendar to November 4 it says, "Daylight Savings Time Ends New. Who reads the fine print? You see, time was when DST ended the last weekend of October. Now, it has been extended into November. I am so angry I could just spit nails.

I hate the Federal Government more every day. If there is nothing else in your life experience to convince you that conspiracy theories are real, let the time change be a lesson. Eventually, America, if we don't wake up, they will take that hour away and they will not give it back in the fall!

Folks used to refer to Daylight Savings Time as fast time, and Standard Time as slow time. Granny would sit on the porch in the evening, waiting for it to get dark enough to go to bed, and say, "I hate this fast time!"

So do I. And I cannot wait for it to end! I may just leave the clocks an hour behind. I'm never on time anyway.

__________________________________________
The Lincoln Presidential Museum and Library


. . . is phenomenal. As Noel and I walked through this week, I kept asking myself what would I have done differently, and I just can't think of anything. As you step through the stages of the Lincolns' lives, you come to understand how ordinary the family was and what an extraordinary place in history they now occupy. One of my favorite exhibits was "The Permissive Parent" (left). At the far left, stretched out on the sofa, his nose in the paper, is Lincoln the Lawyer. Meanwhile, Tad and Willie busy themselves destroying the office--splattering ink, scattering papers. William Herndon, Lincoln's law partner, was known to drink and who could blame him? He describes Lincoln as oblivious to the boys' behavior.

__________________________________________
Topeka Cemetery Tour




. . . today at 2 p.m., and Halloween Day at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Meet at the cemetery office (pictured right during an earlier tour) at 10th and California. Cost is $10 per person.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum is FANTASTIC! When I was there working on a fundraising film for them this past August I found the bedroom of sick Willie to be the most moving. There stands Lincoln with Willie's Zouave soldier doll in his hands, the same doll he gave a presidential pardon to for falling asleep on guard duty in Willie's delirium. It was so amazing. Then again, I really love the exhibit of Mary LIncon and all those exquisite dresses!