Thursday, December 20, 2007

Kansas Wonders and Christmas Traditions

_____________________________________________
8 Wonders of Kansas

The Kansas Sampler Foundation, which is manned by some fantastic folks, is taking votes for sites that will be designated as the 8 Wonders of Kansas. These include natural and man-made sites and the winners will be announced by Governor Kathleen Sebelius on Kansas Day, 2008. Visit this link and vote for Tom's hometown site, Constitution Hall in Lecompton. http://www.8wonders.org/opening.cfm
________________________________________
Christmas Traditions

As I write this, a blizzard rages outside my window. Thunder Snow. Thunder is shaking the house and the snow is piling up. It reminds me of so many Christmas stories--Laura Ingalls Wilder, Rudolph, The Christmas Carol--or any Lifetime TV Christmas movie. While the Christmas spirit envelops us, I thought this would be a great time to share traditions. My fellow blogger, Byron, "Life of Tug," has tagged me with this group of questions. My friend, Christine, in France, also tagged me with this Christmas quiz. I would like to share all their answers with you, as well, but there is only so much time and so much space.

So getting on with the meme... (What does meme mean?)
Rules for the game include:
Link to the person that tagged you, and post the rules on your blog.
Share Christmas facts about yourself.
Tag 7 random people at the end of your post, and include links to their blogs.Let each person know that they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.Welcome to the Christmas edition of getting to know your friends
.

1. Wrapping or gift bags? Gift boxes that I collect and re-use, over and over and over. So, as soon as you get your gift, leave the box!
2. Real or artificial tree? I prefer real but we have 2 artificial trees inside the house and about 8 artificial trees outside.
3. When do you put up the tree? By Thanksgiving. Byron says, "Usually the day after Halloween. Have been known to put it up before then though."
4. When do you take the tree down? Sometime before Easter.
5. Do you like eggnog? Love it! My friend Christine in France doesn't know what it is. I'm sure they just substitute champagne.
6. Favorite gift received as a child? A baby doll. I named her Christmas. Then there was a 36 inch walking doll I named Melissa. Byron's answer cracked me up. "Probably a gun (
see this post). I was really tickled to get a new Huffy Motocross bike one year though. " Christine's answer, a doll house made by her dad. What a sweet memory!
7. Do you have a nativity scene? No, I used to have a beautiful white porcelain one that got lost in moving.
8. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Socks at the school exchange in 2nd grade. They were red and white stripes, just like the witch wore.
9. Mail or email Christmas cards? U. S. Mail, always late.
10. Favorite Christmas Movie? I love Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. It just brings back such good memories for me. Byron answered, "National Lampoons, "Christmas Vacation." Second choice is the 1951 edition of "Christmas Carol," starring Alastair Sim." Tom and I watched the National Lampoon movie the other night and laughed til we cried. And I do love the Christmas Carol in any form.
11. When do you start shopping for Christmas? I'm always shopping for Christmas.
12. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? All my favorite things my Granny and Mama made and I can cook, but I can't duplicate their cooking. Christine said, "salmon, foie gras and snails." Maybe I'll make that our Christmas dinner this year!
13. Clear lights or colored on the tree? I have clear lights on one tree, colored lights on the other.
14. Favorite Christmas song? I love them all. Maybe, "The First Noel"--the emotion and expression of faith are overwhelming.
15. Travel at Christmas or stay home? We often travel back to the mountains of Virginia/North Carolina, but just can't do it this year.
16. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer? Well of course!
17. Angel on the tree top or a star? An angel on one, a homemade star Noel did in 1st grade on the other.
18. Open the presents Christmas Eve or Christmas Morning? Christmas morning!
19. Most annoying thing about this time of year? Greed, and people who say they don't have the spirit. Be still, and let the spirit come inside you.
20. Do you decorate your tree in any specific theme or color? One tree has glass ornaments, including the German pickle and the Rudolph-themed ornaments. The other has birds and ornaments from historic sites.
21. What do you leave for Santa? Cookies and milk.
22. Least favorite holiday song? I love them all. Even "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer."
23. Favorite ornament? The historic ones, because each holds a memory of visiting the place.

Okay, don't know that I have seven blogging friends. I will tag Leslie, because I'm sure she has special traditions up there in Meadows of Dan. So Leslie, here you go! Leslie's blog link is at the left, "At the Top of Squirrel Spur," and so is Bryron's "Life of Tug."

1 comment:

Bro. Byron said...

Great answers to your Christmas meme!
You know, a lot of people are saying that "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer" is their least favorite song, but, like you, I like it too! Oh, and socks, are a terrible thing to get, especially Wicked Witch socks!