Thursday, December 20, 2007

Same Old Lang Syne

Dan Fogelberg died Sunday. He was 56 years old, and his legacy will endure forever. His wife, Jean, took this photo of Dan in Maine where the couple lived. It is rare that talent, the quality of which he possessed, is combined with such a generous heart.

Nearly every radio station is playing his "Same Old Lang Syne," written about a real-life encounter with a former girlfriend, but I have a couple of other suggestions for you. Click on this link http://music.aol.com/video/rhythm-of-the-rain/dan-fogelberg/1386807 for a video of Dan singing "The Rhythm of the Falling Rain," and this link http://www.danfogelberg.com/christmasmorning.html for an original Christmas carol from Dan's album, The First Christmas Morning.

Dan was born in Peoria, Illinois. His mother was a Scottish immigrant and his dad was a music teacher, for whom Dan's hit "Leader of the Band" was written.

"You've got to just follow your heart and do your best work," Dan said. "For better or worse, I have followed my heart. There is no doubt in my mind or heart that everything I've done is exactly what I intended to do."

We should all follow his example.


(At right, the Dan Fogelberg we knew and loved in the 1970s)

1 comment:

Leslie Shelor said...

All of these songs bring my mind back to such great memories. A sad loss and far too soon.