Monday, April 20, 2009

Apple Blossom Time

Apple blossoms are my favorite flower. When I was a child, our house sat on a hilltop overlooking Granny and Grandpa's house in the hollow. One of my most beautiful and vivid memories is looking out our picture window down the hill; the spring rains had left a mist around the blooms of those old fruit trees, bright white flowers with pale pink edges and the first hints of green leaves. These brief blooms--lovely and fragile and filled with potential life.

I planted two apple trees in my yard, one yellow delicious, one red. They have a few blossoms this year, and they make me nostalgic.

1 comment:

Bro. Byron said...

Tis a lovely sight. My dad always had apple trees in the backyard but they never produced much fruit. Just a bunch of small green apples that we used to have apple fights with as kids.

We are in Dogwood season here in East, TN right now and I've seen some very beautiful ones.